It’s 2pm. I’m halfway through my work day. My microwave has been beeping for the past hour, telling me the coffee that I’ve heated up nearly seven times today is still there waiting for me (.. now cold).
It’s almost time to start thinking about what I’ll cook for dinner, and I haven’t even eaten lunch…
If any of you are like me, lunch does not come naturally! I find myself taking the easy road of snacking on almonds, an apple and some chocolate squares all day instead of taking the time to make lunch. Being the busy body, always on-the-go, working mom that I am, eating is almost a nuisance for me. The afternoon comes and I wonder why I have a horrible headache and little stamina to tackle the rest of the day. My body needs fuel, but my crazy schedule needs it to be quick & simple.
I met the NutriBullet, and it was love at first blend! (although I’m still dreaming of a Vitamix!) The NutriBullet has completely changed my lunch game (& my salad dressing game… but more on that later). So many smoothies are loaded with sugar, from yogurt or too much fruit. I wanted a smoothie that was packed with power greens, but also had a flavor that was enjoyable to drink! SO, I introduce to you… The Midwest Skinny’s Kale Citrus Smoothie.
Comment below – or find me on Instagram @themidwestskinny – and tell me what your favorite smoothie concoction is!
- 3-4 large leaves of Kale (or as much as you want! pack that blender full ya'll!)
- 1 large frozen banana (frozen is key! But not too ripe, you want a little green on the peel still)
- 1 cube of Ginger (size of thumbprint)
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- ½ Lemon
- 4-5 Ice Cubes
- *Optional: 1-2 Scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- Throw it all together & blend! I find it blends easiest when I put the kale in top and the frozen banana closest to the blade.
- Optional toppings: Goji Berries, Cocao Nibs, Granola, Shredded Coconut, Almond slivers
I’ve been loving adding fun nutritious toppings to my smoothies lately, too! I use thick smoothie straws, so the chunks slurp right through and bring this delightful crunch. The act of chewing foods (rather than just drinking) helps your body achieve satiety – the feeling of being full. I totally notice a difference when I add things like slivered almonds, chia seeds, cocao nibs, goji berries, granola, etc. So throw on some toppings and get slurping!